Michael Lichaa: Twist in DV case because ex-partner does not show up in court

Michael Lichaa’s former fiancé has refused to appear in court and testify – because she is pregnant – as the ex-NRL star fights allegations of domestic violence.

The former Cronulla and Canterbury prostitute has denied assaulting his former partner Kara Childerhouse in a heated nighttime incident in February last year.

The conclusion of the case was due to be heard at the local Sutherland court on Thursday and Friday.

Police allege that Lichaa, 29, was involved in an argument that prompted concerned neighbors to call police at his home in Sydney’s Connells Point.

The court was told the incident happened after Mr Lichaa caught Ms Childerhouse cheating with his best friend and former teammate Adam Elliott.

The court was due to hear witnesses from Mr. Elliott on Thursday.

However, the prosecution asked for a postponement after she submitted a doctor’s note stating that Ms Childerhouse was pregnant and she claimed she was unable to testify until October 31.

Hours later, the court was told that Ms Childerhouse’s mother had arrived at Sutherland Court House and told police that Ms Childerhouse did not want to relive the “trauma” and was concerned about the stress of having to prove she had been two years old. had been on the witness stand once.

Ms Childerhouse was in the middle of cross-examination when she failed to appear in court on Thursday.

The prosecution admitted that there was no guarantee that she would appear in court if the hearing – which has been dragging on for almost nine months – were further postponed.

“I have not heard any information that gives me any confidence that Ms Childerhouse is likely to come if she is granted a reprieve,” Magistrate Melissa Humphreys said.

“It appears that Ms Childerhouse no longer wishes to participate in the proceedings.”

Police had tried to contact her by phone and email and knocked on her door on Thursday; however, she did not respond, the court was told.

Ms Childerhouse has previously given some of her evidence in a closed court. Defense attorney James Trevallion requested that all her testimony be removed because he was unable to question her on important issues.

Ms Childerhouse had claimed that during the incident Mr Lichaa pushed her, causing her to hit her head against a wall, the court had previously told.

Mr Lichaa has pleaded not guilty to habitual assault and stalking/harassment causing fear of bodily harm.

He pleaded guilty to the less serious charge of destroying property.

Ms Humphreys previously ruled that a statement by Ms Childerhouse, in which she retracted the allegations, would be admitted as evidence.

The hearing has now been going on since late last year – the first day of the trial took place in early November last year before returning to court in March.

The proceedings so far have dealt with legal arguments about the admissibility of Ms Childerhouse’s legal statement in which she said she did not want an AVO to be concluded on her behalf.

The police prosecutor has asked Ms Humphreys to declare it inadmissible after Ms Childerhouse claimed she had been pressured by Mr Lichaa, his parents and lawyer.

However, Ms Humphreys said she could find no impropriety and said it would be included.

The hearing continues on Thursday.

Share is Love^^